This afternoon I opened my Star Wars Card Trading (SWCT) app trying to hunt down the newest Halloween cards when I saw they also had the brand new Series 4 collection. Besides the fact that the cards have a great retro feel to them, they also had a large selection of beautiful “never before seen” pics from the Rogue One movie (check out our FB site for more of these pics).
What really caught my eye though was the “Rebel Pilots” card. At first glance I didnt make anything of it, but then I remembered hearing a rumour that Porkins was possibly in the movie. So as I took a closer look I thought “Damn! Is that him?”
It looks like him. The build is the same. So I started hunting down images of his helmet. and I have to say… It looks pretty darn close.
The helmet from the movie is quite hard to see so I turned to “The Rebel Legion”, the sister legion to the world famous “501st Legion” (The ultimate name in Star Wars cosplaying which allows “Bad guys” to do good).
The helmet pic is from Fettman22 (Dylan Van Horne) of the Rebel Legion. This is his APPROVED helmet to his armour. For armour to be approved it is put through a rigorous check against the props used in the actual movie (no Ben Cooper costumes here). There are a lot of similarities and a few differences as well:
- Yellow Rebel logo on forehead.
- The “Eye of Sauron” like image on the ear. (Sorry, dont know what it is supposed to be…mynock?).
- the yellow/red “skyscraper” lines that stem from the front of the head and over.
- the thick black striping that arcs over the ear around the back and forward again to the top of the head.
- The “V” design on the back above the “eye” logo.
- the actor himself is on the heavier side and has a blondish beard.
- The helmet in the card is decorated with more logos on the top of the head BUT we do not get a great look at the helmet in the movie anyways (I believe there is a decal on the top part above the rebel logo). So it could be artistic license on both parts.
Star Wars has always taken small cosmetic liberties with the canon. We have seen many redesigns of aliens and costumes. Ithorian “Hammerheads” are very similar to their ONE-MOUTHED cousins known as Ottegens. The Gran, Ree-Yees (ROTJ) had it’s hands shrunk down in time for Mawhonic to race in the Boonta Eve Classic (TPM) and people have been debating about Vader’s suit in the new movie for a while now.
But if I was a betting man I am guessing we will see the rise of Jek “Red 6” Porkins in this movie, even if for a moment. And that is just another reason I feel that Rogue One will be even MORE like Star Wars than The Force Awakens was last year.
Rob Williams – Generation X-Wing Podcast